- The role of ocean circulation (particularly the Southern Ocean) in the climate system
- Dynamics of the Antarctic Circumpolar Current and its overturning circulation
- Mixing and transport by ocean eddies
I did my postdoc with Paola Cessi at Scripps Institution of Oceanography. I got my PhD from the MIT Department of Earth, Atmospheric, and Planetary Science.
- Klocker, A and R. Abernathey, 2013: Estimating eddy diffusion coefficients of nonlinear mesoscale eddies from observations. J. Phys. Oceanogr., submitted.
- Abernathey, R. and P. Cessi, 2013: Equilibration of Circumpolar Currents with and without Topography. J. Phys. Oceanogr., submitted.
- Abernathey, R., D. Ferreira, and A. Klocker, 2013: Diagnostics of Eddy Mixing in a Circumpolar Channel. Ocean Modelling, in press.
- Abernathey, R. P., and J. Marshall (2013), Global surface eddy diffusivities derived from satellite altimetry, J. Geophys. Res. Oceans, 118, 901–916, doi:10.1002/jgrc.20066.
- C. Hill, D. Ferreira, J-M. Campin, J. Marshall, R. Abernathey, N. Barrier, 2012: Controlling Spurious Diapycnal Mixing in Eddy-Resolving Height-Coordinate Ocean Models–Insights from Virtual Deliberate Tracer Release Experiments. Ocean Modelling, 45-56, 14-26 (online version)
- Abernathey, R., J. Marshall, D. Ferreira, 2011: Dependence of Southern Ocean Overturning on Wind Stress. J. Phys. Oceanogr., 41, 2261-2278 (online version)
- Abernathey, R. J. Marshall, M. Mazloff, and E. Shuckburgh, 2010: Enhanced Isopycnal Mixing at Steering Levels in the Southern Ocean. J. Phys. Oceanogr., 40, 170-184 (online version)